Focus on Flash, Sydney Photography Workshop
- Duration : 4 Hours
- Location: Sydney, NSW
The modern flash unit is a sophisticated and very creative tool that will help you create flattering photographs of people and still life. After a brief introduction in the studio we’ll set off through the laneways of Chippendale to the courtyard of Central Park while we familiarise ourselves with the flash unit and experiment with its functions and
To demonstrate the principles of using flash we’ll use still-life objects and a model to practise essential techniques such as fill-flash, direct flash and bounce flash, ‘rear curtain sync’ and
You’ll learn how to observe the characteristics of light to create mood and emotion in your image, and you’ll come away with wonderful new skills that enhance your images and take your enjoyment of photography to a new level.
Tutors: A professional photographer and a photographer's assistant (subject to group size).
Class size: minimum four; maximum 10
Time: 9 am to 1 pm on selected Sundays. Please arrive 15 minutes before the workshop to ensure we start on time
Meeting point: Black Door Photography Studio, 3/19-25 Wellington Street, Chippendale
What should I bring?
- a digital SLR camera or compact camera with manual settings and a built-in flash. Please make sure you also bring the user’s manual
- a lens hood if you have one
- a cleaning cloth
- at least one empty memory card
- at least one set of spare batteries —make sure they’re fully charged
- your camera manual
- camera bag
- water bottle and snacks
- comfortable walking shoes
- sunscreen and hat
- comfortable clothing; check the weather forecast!
What does the workshop cover?
- overview of composition and shutter speed
- the flash menu
- observing the quality and direction of light
- key flash techniques
- creative flash features of the
- how to create flattering images of people and still life objects
- how to create beautiful images in low light
- overriding auto flash
Detailed Aperture Club course notes will be emailed to you on completion of each workshop.
Camera kits are available for $75 per workshop if you want to experiment using a professional DSLR camera. Kits include a camera, lens and other equipment (flash/tripod) appropriate to the particular tutorial. Kits are limited, so make sure you reserve one when you confirm your workshop.
Workshops do not include drinks, meals/snacks, public transport or parking
If it looks as if the weather will be unsuitable on the day, we’ll contact you early in the morning. In the event of cancellation, you can select an alternative workshop date.
We look forward to meeting you soon.
The Aperture Club Team —
Sharon Hickey: 0411 370 577